Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bay View Coffee - San Francisco, Ca,






















Pics from
whatimseeing.com/2007/12/07/hocus-pocus/

























The ferry stern recedes from view, disappearing into the fog,
spewing it's wake towards me.

Birds huddle against the cold just outside the window their
heads pulled back inside their feathers.

I'm at Peets Coffee in the Ferry Building in San Francisco.

I took my morning walk and spotted the Ferry Building.
I bee-lined towards it thinking coffee and a bay view would
be nice this morning. As I strode through the front plaza
under the clock tower it's carillon bells exalt my entry.

The sun climbs above the billowing fog to rake sunlight and
shadows across the boardwalk in front of me. The ferry
terminal's stainless steel docks gleam and glimmer in the
sunlight off-setting the pink fringed fog hugging the
bay behind it.

Business people and hipsters with their ubiquitious earbuds
parade pass as another ferry unloads it's charges.

Behind me on polished concrete floors are four foot square
common tables filled with newspaper readers, laptop surfers
and coffee klatchers. They get up intermittently in one's and
two's to make their way to their day's obligations.

Thick blooded natives take seats outside with spring
jackets on.

A flock of birds ducking the fog skips across the water
inches above it.

The ever changing scene morphs to gray again as another ferry
blows it's horn and backs out for the return trip to Marin.
Fog rolls up over the boat, chills the birds, covers the
boardwalk and blankets the ferry building. Mother Nature
closed the curtain on the sun, show's over. I pull my scarf
close, cap my coffee and begin the walk back up Market Street
to begin my work day.

3 comments:

Mr. Jer said...

I've never been there, but after reading your story and seeing the pics I feel like I was sitting there with you. Great pics and writing on your blog.

Bob Welch said...

Thanks Jer

Molly said...

Awww - you're making me homesick for our second (or is it third) home...