Monday, December 29, 2008

Winter Wonderland. Marblehead, Massachusetts

























I've had the privilege of being able to see a lot of the world and Marblehead, Massachusetts stands as one of the most beautiful places I've been. I live here everyday and the beauty of the place never diminishes. I walk it's streets as often as possible. I walk for exercise but I always bring a camera and coffee shop change. Even the grays and whites of winter can't put a dull veneer on our old town. It just redecorates it for the new season and adds it's own distinguishing features.


















As the first snow of the season fell I had to be out in it. Being a born & bred Western New Yorker I love a good snow storm, I love the white out immersion and the snow blowing in my face. I feel alive, I feel 10 years old again, bundled up in leggings, my winter coat and a stocking hat. My mittens and scarf covered with dingle berries of frozen snow. Inside my buckle-up boots my feet are warm and dry protected by the Wonderbread bags wrapped so snugly around my feet as I seek the protection of the igloo bushes pretending to be an Eskimo in the Arctic. ...I digress.

Reveling in my arctic past I make my way into old town. Snow makes it's angled way onto our faces. I stick my tongue out to catch a few flakes.















Marblehead was founded in 1629 and it's "Old Town" may be the greatest living collection of 17th and 18th century buildings in America. The streets are crooked and narrow and have a distinctly European feel. The town is not a museum. It's a living breathing community full of activity and pride of place and onto this antique visage falls a sparkling highlight of crystalline white adding a measure of magic to the accepting Christmas decorations.
















My favorite coffee and breakfast shops offer cover from the storm, their windows fogging from the collective sighs of warm customers and their cups-of-joe.

















Window displays reflect the holiday spirit.
















Lobster shanties sit quiet.
















But Gatchells' Playground and Redd's Pond come alive with sledders, skaters and hockey games.













Once again Marblehead enlivens my soul and inspires me.


















Snow angel time!

5 comments:

Nancy/B said...

Nice recap! I also enjoy being outside in the winter - walking in the cool, crisp air. Must get that from Dad 'eh!
I laughed just remembering the wonder bread bags on our feet before putting on our boots - forgot about that!
Nice pix of Drew! Cute!

Anonymous said...

you sure do bring back lots of memories!!!! Glad they are happy memories..............
Love--Mom

Anonymous said...

Bob Nice story. You know I love the outdoors. I envy you now that I can't do it. Enjoy & write about it so I can enjoy it. Nice pictures of Marblehead. Dad

Molly said...

Wonderbread bags! When my Mom was on Diet Workshop we'd have Melba sliced Pepperidge Farm bread bags :-)

DAN said...

The Schreiner household used WEGMANS' bread bags when I was little!

Bob - A Welch OHIO invasion over Memorial Day sounds like a fantastic idea! I'll keep the weekend free