Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas In The City. Rochester, NY to Boston, Ma.

Christmas has snuck up in the middle of my Westward Ho travel posts and when the muse hits, you gotta write.....

When I was a kid I remember going to Midtown Mall in Rochester, NY at Christmas time. It was magical. I was the same height as the display windows and I distinctly remember being bundled up and looking up into the displays out on the sidewalk before entering the mall. I'll never forget the sight of it. It was awe inspiring, the lights, the animatronics, the miniature village scenes, the fake ice canals and sparkling snow. The visuals of Christmas layered on the bustle of the city was new and exciting for a suburban boy like me. I think I fell in love with cities that day too. I wished Rochester could be Christmas bright and bustling all the time. It wasn't, but I found cities like New York and Boston were.



Years later I moved to the jewel that is Boston. Physically being in the streets always inspires me, surrounded by the moving masses, beautiful buildings, lights, signs, cafe's and the criss-crossing movement of traffic, subways, streetcars and buses. In the winter I love the steam rising from the underground, food vendor stalls and people's breaths. Christmas time takes the city stew and heightens all the effects.



Quincy Market
by Mazda6 (Tor) Flikr



I'm in Boston as I'm writing this. Walking through the Prudential Center Shops snapped my memory back to that moment at Midtown Mall. Surrounding me, Christmas lights reflect off the floor and walls, a giant Christmas Ball hangs glowing from the ceiling and display cases are full of the red and green of the season. Perfect 24 foot cone shaped Xmas trees wrapped in white lights and ribbon stand guard along the walkways and golden 10 foot starbursts hang from the night black atrium ceilings.




Christmas Ball. Prudential Center
Shops by Inecita, Flikr.


Boston is a beautiful city any time of the year and Christmas is no exception. With the days short the city lights and sky begin to twinkle early in December.



















Boston's North End by spin979 Flikr


Couples walk a little closer together. Scarves are wrapped fashionably around necks with matching hats and gloves.

Brownstones are dressed with holiday wreaths and serenaded by salvation army Santa's.


























Boston dressed for Christmas by cupidboi79, Flikr


The fogged windows of restaurants and bars look inviting with silhouetted shapes of friends and lovers inside .

















Green Dragon Tavern
by angelocesare, Flikr

Jacob Wirth's
by tpl108, Flikr












I settle into the M Bar to the muted sounds of bells and carols outside. Watching the passers by brings a little melody to mind.....

City sidewalks busy sidewalks . Dressed in holiday style In the air There's a feeling of Christmas Children laughing People passing Meeting smile after smile And on ev'ry street corner you'll hear

Silver bells silver bells It's Christmas time in the city Ring a ling hear them sing Soon it will be Christmas day













Boston backlane
by Tucumcary, Flikr

Commonwealth Ave Mall
by halmorgan, Flikr.






















And to all, a Good Night.

3 comments:

Molly said...

Midtown Rochester was magic to me too. Remember the Liberty Pole all decorated in lights?

But there's no place like Marblehead or Charles Street at Christmastimeur

Nancy/B said...

Christmas at Midtown - good stuff. Remember getting a kazoo after seeing Santa at Sibley's! And riding the monorail was always fun! I even rode with the Schreiner boys when I was a teenager!

DAN said...

I actually remember going to Midtown and riding the monorail also...