Friday, March 27, 2009

Best Beer brewed in Rochester, NY

Check out the third most award winning beer in America according to the Brewers Association. Genesee Cream Ale. At its annual Great American Beer Festival, the Brewers Association awards gold, silver and bronze medals to the best beers produced by hundreds of breweries in the US, from the largest to the micro-est.

Most highly decorated beer in America is Alaskan Smoked Porter (15 medals; 6 gold, 4 silver, 5 bronze), followed by New Belgium Abbey Belgian Style Ale (10 medals; 6 gold, 4 bronze) and Genesee Cream Ale from Rochester, NY, (10 medals; 2 gold, 5 silver, 3 bronze).

We called Genesee Cream Ale "The Green Death" in my college days. It gave you big time gas. I'm talking farts that you could see coming out your butt. Green mist would waft up and knock-out anyone in proximity. I was like Pepe' LePew. It wasn't good for picking up chicks.

It's fallen from favor in my home town of Rochester, NY. All the people I know there now drink Labatt's. They've gone Canadian. What's up with that? eh?

Maybe Genesee should put a little time in developing a non-fart ingredient and their award winning Cream Ale would start to climb the charts again.


I probably had my first sip of beer out of a bottle just like this standing next to my Dad while we grilled some meat in the summer. "You wanna try a sip?" "Sure" I said. I took a sip and skrinkled up my face at the sour taste.





When I was of legal drinking age in 1978 this is what The Green Death looked like. We popped a few tops and emptied our fair share of the hometown brew.

No comments: