Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Boulevard - San Francisco

San Francisco; 1 Mission St. -

I made my way to the waterfront thinking I was going to partake of the fruits of the Ferry Building but ended up at Boulevard instead. What a fantastic restaurant. It's a beautiful art nouveau designed restaurant in classic carved and bent dark woods and swirling tile mosaics. Barreled ceilings and floral lighting set the ambiance for perfect French food. I sat at the "food bar" which is a bar that overlooks the chefs kitchen and watched the choreographed dance of the line chefs as they grilled, saute'd, sauced, garnished, foamed, cupped and plated food. I luxuriated with my sour dough french bread and glass of Cotes du Rhone. Sated and settled my lamb entre' arrives cooked medium rare. A melt in your mouth masterpiece, with mini potatoes, peas and onions.

I talk to my fellow food bar neighbor, a German from Munich. "Of course you should come to Munich he says". Just book six months in advance for Oktoberfest to make sure you get a good room. We discuss restaurants, Russians, east west reunification, how hot it is in Phoenix versus San Francisco, Ludwig's castle, our dinners, Leipzig, BMW, and all things German. I stop short of getting him to write an official letter to Molly inviting to her to Deutschland and explaining that not everyone in Germany is a Nazi, ex-Nazi or genetically infected by Nazi-ism.

It's always when you least expect it that an experience leaves an impression. That was my second time at Boulevard so I didn't expect to record this dinner but Boulevard is an impressive place. In the true definition of the word it has impressed it's memory into my brain.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: